Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Thursday, February 26, 2009

More Cake Decorating

So I have taken a few more pictures of a few cake decorating styles and decided that I should write another post. So here we go...

This is a complete look at my fondant icing cake. It was really fun working with fondant because it is more of hands on and shaping things rather than using a spatula or piping the icing on the cake. I loved making this cake and learning fondant techniques.

This Image is showing the drape that is done in pink. I'm not so much a fan of this. It is also showing the rope border I did. I make it first and wasn't quite sure what I was doing yet so one strands of the rope started drying out and cracked a little.

This picture show ribbon insertion and crimping. I really like the idea of both of these and they both look really good!

This picture shows inlay the pink heart was cut out of other fondant and replaced a heart that was cut out of the fondant on the cake. The white part is brush embroidery. I didn't do it as well as it should be, but can look very nice.

This picture shows eyelet embroidery.

This is a fondant rose. I liked making it! It was a lot easier than piping a rose out of buttercream icing!

This shows the frill. It was hard to do, but I think can look very nice on a cake.

These are apple blossom flowers. I made them the colors I had available. They were made out of gum paste and not fondant, but were somewhat difficult to make. However they look nice.

This has been my favorite thing to make recently! They are out of a kind of icing called color flow. You do the outline let it harder and thin the icing. Then you fill in the outline with the thinner icing. It was really fun yet easy to do!

This is my favorite one. A butterfly that I'm going to use on a cake that we will be making in the next couple weeks.
I hope you enjoy looking at all the fun things I have been making in my cake decorating class. Oh and don't forget only 92 more days!




3 comments:

Elle said...

how fun!! i knew someone that took this class last semester and i'm so jealous!! it would be SUCH a good thing to do from home! you look like you're good at it too!! i hope everything is well with you and your baby-to-be!

Kristy Skoy said...

Great job on the fondant. I really like it all the different things you are learning. I am doing a wedding cake today and then starting on Kaitlyn's bday cake next week. I may be calling you to find out how to lay fondant on the cake.... if i decide to go that way.

Danna said...

Dang girl, you are getting good! You are going to have to start up your own buisness :) I always thought cake decorating would be fun. Maybe I should take a class